Ruby on Rails Developer
We are looking for a full stack developer responsible for building web applications with Ruby on Rails. This is a part-time/contract position, perfect for local (Victoria, B.C.) or remote workers who want to make a difference working on impactful projects with a social enterprise. No agencies or teams. We’re looking to build direct, long-term relationships with individuals passionate about the work we do. This position is a 4-month term contract, with possibility of extension or full-time hire. Start date is negotiable.
Animikii is a technical services agency that works with leading Indigenous-focused organizations in Canada to leverage web technologies for cultural, educational, health, community and economic development initiatives that positively impact Indigenous people. Learn more about us at http://animikii.com.
Your primary responsibility will be to design, develop and maintain new and existing Rails applications and to coordinate with the rest of the team working on different layers of the infrastructure. As a member of the Animikii team, you will develop complex web applications, including:
- Design, build, and maintain efficient and testable Ruby and Rails code.
- Design and create database schemas that represent and support business processes.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems.
- Help maintain code quality & organization, based on the Animikii coding style guide.
- Provide technical support to existing clients that use our software solutions.
- Implement engaging, effective, and secure user experiences either independently or in cooperation with our front-end developers.
- Support Animikii’s overall goal of fostering Reconciliation in Canada through technology.
- Set up and maintain your own development environment.
- Proficiency in idiomatic Ruby and Rails.
- Knack for writing clean, readable code.
- Clear understanding of when to use Rails convenience mechanisms, and when to use more advanced object-oriented techniques.
- Familiarity with concepts of MVC, ORM, RESTful, JSON APIs, Browser SPAs, App State Management and responsive design.
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application.
- Proficiency in using git and Github in a team environment.
- Familiarity with development aiding tools such as NPM, Bundler, Rake, Capistrano, RVM, rbenv, Homebrew, Webpack, etc.
- 3+ years dedicated Ruby on Rails experience in a client service or agency environment.
- Experience with Rails 3, 4 & 5.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to solve complex technical problems through needs analysis.
- Knowledge of project management principles, processes and software.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Customer service and interpersonal skills to communicate, consult and build relationships with clients, staff and partners.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to self-manage and lead your own work.
- Experience and/or demonstrated interest in working with Indigenous communities.
- Must be willing to complete Indigenous Cultural Safety training (paid) within the first 3 months of the contract.
When applying, please describe:
- Why you are interested to work with an Indigenous-focused organization like Animikii;
- Your previous/current position and your responsibilities there; and
- Your experience with the tasks listed above.
We’d also like to know what your current availability is (hours or days per week). And please provide your expected hourly rate and any contract terms with your application.
Self-identifying as Indigenous, having first-hand knowledge or experience working with an Indigenous community will be considered an asset.
Please send an email to email@example.com that includes your resume and answers to the above questions.